Date:      Sat, 12 Feb 2005 22:04:42 -0800 (PST)
From:      Rob <spamrefuse@yahoo.com>
To:        markir@paradise.net.nz
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: atapci VIA 82C596B UDMA66 controller: problem for 5.X ?

--- Mark Kirkwood <markir@paradise.net.nz> wrote:

> Rob wrote:
> >
> > What does that mean? UDMA66 and hw.ata.ata_dma=0 ?
>
> Hmmm, that is interesting, 2 suggestion to determine
> what is going on:
> - run diskinfo -t on your disks and let us know the
> results
> - use sysctl to set hw.ata.ata_dma=1 and see what
> happens

Thanks, I'll do that tonight and report here whether
this helps or not.

> > And why then is UDMA66 not automatically choosen
> > at bootup?
>
> At a guess I would suggest that dma is broken for
> your motherboards in 5.3 (what were they again?).

Sorry, I don't understand your last question in
the brackets. What does 'they' refer to? The
motherboard(s), the type of dma, or what?

Is it possible that the dma appears to be broken for
5.3 only, but works fine with 4.11 ?

(I had no such problems with 4.11; then I did a fresh
install of 5.3 and I got all these disk problems)

> Oh and - you could try Soren's ATA mkIII patches,
> even tho I suspect  they may be intended for
> 5.3-stable rather than 5.3-release (you got nothing
> to lose at this point tho....)

Maybe, maybe. But I first want to find out what's
the actual problem. Later I may upgrade to stable.
By then, this patch may have been applied to stable.

Thanks,
Rob.

http://mail.yahoo.com