Date:      Wed, 16 Feb 2005 01:33:33 -0600
From:      "Andrew L. Gould" <algould@datawok.com>
To:        freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org, Jon Drews <jon.drews@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Assuming We Want FreeBSD to Grow: Who Is It For?

On Wednesday 16 February 2005 12:20 am, Jon Drews wrote:
>  FreeBSD is a viable desktop. Gnumeric is in some ways a much better
> Excel than Excel. For word processors there is TextMaker and or
> StarOffice. I am well aware of Abiword and Kword, but the latter come
> with good commercial fonts. MySQL also provides MySQLCC, a gui
> frontend to MySQL. Evolution, Kmail, or Thunderbird will do fine as
> MUA's. Arguably Firefox, Epiphany or Konqueror are better than IE.
> Those items cover about 90% of desktop use.
>  In addition FreeBSD ports comes with a lot of useful software such
> as Scilab, Gperiodic, Qcad, TGIF, Mplayer, SANE ....  Your Microsoft
> Xp comes with none of that stuff.

Viable, yes; but not at all marketable as a desktop:

1. Purchasing basic, compatible hardware/peripherals (wifi cards,
modems, printers) is difficult.  The best example for *BSD and Linux is
printers.  Despite the fact that HP supports Linux and dominates the
retail printer market, it leads the market in producing all-in-one
devices that are not compatible with Linux.  Solving this problem will
never be under the control of the FreeBSD Project (nor Linux, for that
matter).

2. Getting Java and Flash plugins to work with browsers is a chore in
FreeBSD.  Viewing common webpages should be automatic.  Can we even go
a week without an email from a  current/new user having difficulty
configuring one of these browser plugins?  Although I have the correct
plugins "working", there are times when I have to reboot to Windows to
successfully use tools on a vendor's website.

These are basic things that Windows or Mac OSX users don't have to think
about.  These 2 issues alone are big enough to kill desktop
marketability.

Do I still use FreeBSD as a desktop?  You betcha!  But those of use who
enjoy the fact that using kermit across a ssh connection allows you to
use globbing while transfering files securely, are neither average nor
normal -- my wife would say, "abnormal".  Heck, just getting my
relatives to configure a Web Folder, a default feature in Windows, so
that we could share wedding photos easily was a huge disaster!

Again, I agree that FreeBSD is a viable desktop for many; but
advertising it as such would lead to bad experiences and a worse
reputation.

Just my 2 cents worth,

Andrew Gould