Date:      Fri, 18 Feb 2005 18:04:24 -0500
From:      Mike Hauber <m.hauber@mchsi.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Bob Hall <rjhjr@cox.net>
Subject:   Re: Firefox configuration problem

On Friday 18 February 2005 04:42 pm, Bob Hall wrote:
> uname -a
> FreeBSD kongemord.krig.net 5.2.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 5.2.1-RELEASE
> #0: Mon Sep 13 00:17:04 EDT 2004
> root@kongemord.krig.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/KONGEMORD0  i386
>
> Port:   firefox-1.0_7,1
>
> Firefox can't write to its configuration files when I make
> changes. I can manually edit them. The bookmark and prefs.js
> files are both owned by the same user that runs Firefox.
>
> I had no problems with previous versions of Firefox. Version 1
> works fine on Windows.
>
> I've googled and searched the mail archives but I can't find
> anything on this.

Have you tried rm'ing ~/.mozilla/firefox?  I seem to remember
running into that after an upgrade a while back, but I don't
remember what I did to solve it (I do remember deleting the
directory and letting firefox recreate it, though).

As a side note, don't forget to backup/export your bookmarks.
That's something I _didn't_ do.  :)

hth,

Mike