Date:      Sat, 5 Mar 2005 18:09:43 +0000
From:      Vittorio <v.demartino2@virgilio.it>
To:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Cannot print

Alle 15:13, sabato 5 marzo 2005, Roland Smith ha scritto:

> Is your printer connected via the parallel port? If so, and there is a
> line reading "Interrupt storm detected on "irq7: lpt0"; throttling
> interrupt source", add the following to /boot/device.hints:
>
> # For the parallel port. Set ECP mode, disable interrupt. See ppc(4).
> # ECP mode is bit 3 (0x08), disabling IRQ is bit 5 (0x20).
> # By disabling the IRQ I put the port "polling mode".
> hint.ppc.0.flags="0x28"
>
> > "/usr/local/etc/apsfilter/basedir/bin/apsfilter: cannot open
> > /var/spool/lpd/lp/lock: Permission denied"
>
> This means apsfilter does not have access rights to that file.
>
> > and doesn't print anything.

I did as you said but, first of all, in dmesg I cannot find any line reading
"Interrupt storm detected on "irq7: lpt0"; throttling interrupt source"
but only
% dmesg |grep lpt0
lpt0: <Printer> on ppbus0
lpt0: Interrupt-driven port
lpt0: <Printer> on ppbus0
lpt0: Polled port

Now, I have the following in

% cat /boot/device.hints |grep ppc

hint.ppc.0.at="isa"
hint.ppc.0.irq="7"
hint.ppc.0.flags="0x28"

Please help.

Ciao
Vittorio

By the way,

in /etc/printcap

# APS1_BEGIN:printer1
# - don't delete start label for apsfilter printer1
# - no other printer defines between BEGIN and END LABEL
lp|st640pl.upp;r=360x360;q=medium;c=full;p=a4;m=auto:\
    :lp=/dev/lpt0:\
    :if=/usr/local/etc/apsfilter/basedir/bin/apsfilter:\
    :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
    :lf=/var/spool/lpd/lp/log:\
    :af=/var/spool/lpd/lp/acct:\
    :mx#0:\