Date:      Thu, 5 May 2005 20:32:15 +0200
From:      Emanuel Strobl <Emanuel.strobl@gmx.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd.org@donnacha.com
Subject:   Re: How should I divvy up my HDDs?  Suggestions Please.

--nextPart1645329.Miyol4iLS8

Am Donnerstag, 5. Mai 2005 17:43 schrieb freebsd.org@donnacha.com:
> Hi Harald, thanks.
>
> GPT sounds great but the quick search I did turned up a lot of
> references to 64-bit chips i.e. FreeBSD.org said "The GPT partitioning
> scheme was introduced with the ia64 architecture as an MBR replacement".
>
> Can GPT be also be used on 32-bit chips?  My server has a single P4 2.8
> 533FSB.

Yes, you cannot boot from GPT disks without IA64 (EFI), so you have to use=
=20
MBR/bsdlabel for the first disk on x86 (which includes AMD64 and EMT-64)=20
systems and the root mountpoint must be a bsdlabel, but you can also use=20
GPT additionally on the first disk by creating a GPT inside a slice.
On non-booting disks you don't need any MBR etc., just GPT works fine on=20
any architecture FreeBSD supports

> Also, is it easy to implement and commonly know about?  I ask because I
> won't be the one doing the initial installation.

It's rarely known, but no problem to "implement" since FreeBSD has GPT=20
support in the generic kernel. Sysinstall can't handle GPT, so you should=20
be quiet familar with FreeBSD to make the boot-disk GPT extended. To=20
create GPT on the second disk is quiet easy (gpt create ad2) and the man=20
page of the gpt (8) tool describes the easy steps to add partitions. Then=20
you need to newfs them and add them to /etc/fstab, just like with=20
slice/labels, but you have to do it manually, like mentioned sysinstall=20
can't manage GPT.

=2DHarry