Date:      Sun, 15 May 2005 21:29:59 +0200
From:      Vittorio De Martino <vdm.fbsd@virgilio.it>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org, freebsd-questioin@FreeBSD.ORG, in@FreeBSD.ORG, a@FreeBSD.ORG, consolens@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kde & kdm & mouse

Alle 00:38, domenica 15 maggio 2005, Vittorio De Martino ha scritto:
> I have the latest installation of freebsd 5.4 on my laptop, kde & kdm 3.4.
> The laptop has a synaptic mousepad endowed of two buttons that in normal
> conditions are not used at all being enough to double-hit on the pad to
> have the same effect as that of pressing the left button.
> Now at boot time I  enabled moused
>
> # ps ax|grep moused
>   493  ??  Ss     0:00.54 /usr/sbin/moused -p /dev/psm0 -t auto
>
> And the following in /etc/X11/xorg.conf
> Section "InputDevice"
>         Identifier  "Mouse0"
>         Driver      "mouse"
>         Option      "Protocol" "Auto"
>         Option      "Device" "/dev/sysmouse"
>         Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
> EndSection
>
> Now it happens that:
>
> 1) If I start kde as a user by means of the command startx (having put
> startkde into .xinitrc) the mouse(-pad) works as expected: I can move
> around the screen and select and launch programs just moving on the pad and
> double hitting the pad . No problems! In a nutshell no need to press the
> left button.
>
> 2) If at boot time I start kde by means of kdm having put in /etc/ttys:
> ttyv8   "/usr/local/bin/kdm -nodaemon"  xterm   on  secure
>
> and modified /etc/pam.d as required to autologin, I immediatedly and
> automagically login into kde as a user and the mouse works BUT... with the
> pad I can only move around the screen and the double-hit doesn't work
> anymore so that I have to use the left button cumpulsorily (and
> annoyingly).
>
> Why in your opinion is that crazy behavior and what should I do?

My feeling is that moused is both somewhat slow and one of the last services
to be executed. Therefore I highly suspect that the execution of moused in
some way overlaps with the execution of autologin kdm at boot time causing
the malfunctioning mousepad behaviour.
Now I'm trying to delay a bit the execution of kdm by adding something like

ttyv8   "/bin/sleep 2;/usr/local/bin/kdm -nodaemon"  xterm   on  secure
ttyv8   "/bin/sleep 2 && /usr/local/bin/kdm -nodaemon"  xterm   on  secure

but FreeBSD doesn't seem to like either: it doesn't execute kdm and issue a
warning about a delay of 60 seconds??????

How could I delay a bit the autologin kdm?

Ciao
Vittorio