Date:      Fri, 27 May 2005 14:56:45 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Dean Strik <dean@stack.nl>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   bin/81555: Cron exits from SIGPIPE after crontab -e when using NSS-LDAP

>Number:         81555
>Category:       bin
>Synopsis:       Cron exits from SIGPIPE after crontab -e when using NSS-LDAP
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
>Environment:
FreeBSD tesla.stack.nl 5.4-RELEASE-p1 FreeBSD 5.4-RELEASE-p1 #2: Tue May 17 19:53:43 CEST 2005     root@snail.stack.nl:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/SMP  i386

SMP system (dual P2-233) using NSS-LDAP (static root).

	Cron(8) seems to exit after a SIGPIPE when a user runs crontab
-e.  This way normal users can effectively, even without intent, easily
kill the cron daemon, so this is serious.

	I ktraced one cron daemon, and it shows a SIGPIPE (and therefore
exit) after using NSS-LDAP lookups. So local users do not trigger the
problem, but LDAP users do.

>How-To-Repeat:
	As local user with account info in LDAP, run crontab -e and save.
>Fix:
	Haven't looked at a fix yet, but perhaps ignoring SIGPIPE is the
way to here.