Date:      Wed, 8 Jun 2005 15:11:18 -0400
From:      Dan Ponte <dcp1990@neptune.atopia.net>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ADSL for use on server

--JP+T4n/bALQSJXh8

On Wed, Jun 08, 2005 at 07:23:01PM +0200, Benny Goemans <benny.goemans@tele=
net.be> was witnessed plotting the following conspiracy:
> Hi,
>=20
> I'm switching from cable to ADSL in a month and I was wondering what (kin=
d of) modem I should best go for. Would it best be one that connects to a N=
IC or to USB. I'm now using a (console) NAT & proxy server, with which I sh=
ould be certain it works. For this, I would like to have some possibility t=
o automatically dial at boot time (or if the modem takes care of that, even=
 better).=20
>=20
> Should someone be using an ADSL modem on this kind of connection, would i=
t be possible to tell some more about it?
>=20
> Thx in advance,
>=20
> Benny Goemans
I don't use ADSL (I use cable, a modem which uses Ethernet for
connectivity), but your best bet, barring a similar Ethernet modem, is
to look around in HARDWARE.txt to see if it is compatible. Check the
manpage for the driver; see if there are any caveats to worry about.
-Dan
--=20
Dan Ponte
http://www.theamigan.net/
Life is a whim of several billion cells to be you for a while.

--JP+T4n/bALQSJXh8

--JP+T4n/bALQSJXh8--