Date:      Wed, 27 Jul 2005 07:52:05 -0400
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org, garys@opusnet.com
Cc:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: docs/84154: Handbook somewhat off in use of /boot/kernel.old

On Wednesday 27 July 2005 01:57 am, Gary W. Swearingen wrote:
> >Number:         84154
> >Category:       docs
> >Synopsis:       Handbook somewhat off in use of /boot/kernel.old
> >Confidential:   no
> >Severity:       non-critical
> none
>
> >Environment:
>
> n/a

> The handbook's concept of /boot/kernel always being moved to
> /boot/kernel.old is wrong (in two places).  The move is only
> made if the currently running kernel came from /boot/kernel/.
>
> >How-To-Repeat:
>
> n/a
>
> >Fix:
>
> -- In section 8.3 Building and Installing a Custom Kernel,
>
> change
>    The new kernel will be copied to the /boot/kernel directory as
>    /boot/kernel/kernel and the old kernel will be moved to
>    /boot/kernel.old/kernel.
>    The new kernel and modules will be copied to the /boot/kernel directory
>    but that directory will first be moved in place of /boot/kernel.old
>    if the currently running kernel came from "/boot/kernel".

How about:

The new kernel and modules will be copied to the /boot/kernel directory.  I=
f=20
the currently running kernel came from "/boot/kernel", then the old kernel=
=20
and modules will be moved to the /boot/kernel.old directory.

> -- In section 8.6, under "The kernel does not boot",
>
> change
>              You cannot rely on
>              kernel.old because when installing a new kernel,
>              kernel.old is overwritten with the last installed kernel
>              which may be non-functional.
>              Standard kernel builds write to /boot/kernel, with
>              that directory first moved in place of /boot/kernel.old
>              if the currently running kernel came from /boot/kernel.

I haven't read the full doc for context, but it looks like the replacement=
=20
text doesn't actually replace the same meaning.  The reason for kernel.old=
=20
only getting updated if the kernel being installed is running is to try to=
=20
make kernel.old more reliable as in theory it should always be a kernel tha=
t=20
was running well enough to do an installkernel now.  Probably the surroundi=
ng=20
section here needs more updating to reflect that larger change.

=2D-=20
John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org> =A0<>< =A0http://www.FreeBSD.org/~jhb/
"Power Users Use the Power to Serve" =A0=3D =A0http://www.FreeBSD.org