Date:      Wed, 5 Oct 2005 22:04:31 -0500
From:      Kirk Strauser <kirk@strauser.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Hidden spot on hard drives?

--nextPart1244779.ZHgrcSARvS

On Wednesday 05 October 2005 01:44 pm, Jonathon McKitrick wrote:
> the company where I work (with Windows) is evaluating a copy protection
> product that stores info somewhere on the HDD where the [1] user cannot
> touch it, [2] a format will not erase it, [3] and Norton Ghost will not f=
ind
> it. =20

1) No such animal.
2) Ah - the bootblock, as others have mentioned.
3) Of course, that doesn't say anything about Ghost v$(current + 1).

To be blunt, your vendor is lying to you.  At best, they can make copying l=
ess=20
convenient than otherwise, but can't stop a dedicated cracker.  Why, then,=
=20
would you want to make life more difficult for your paying customers while=
=20
barely slowing those capable of doing you the most harm?

One thing I learned while growing up through the C=3D64 and Amiga days is t=
hat=20
copy protection never, ever, EVER works.  Ever.  Under no circumstances.  I=
t=20
only makes your legitimate users (deservedly) hate you.  Are you sure that'=
s=20
what your company really wants?
=2D-=20
Kirk Strauser