Date:      Fri, 28 Oct 2005 18:40:24 GMT
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: bin/88119: [patch] partial matching for ifconfig

The following reply was made to PR bin/88119; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To: Ben Wilber <bw@desync.com>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 11:39:57 -0700

 Nice idea.  I'm not convinved of the implementation though.  First, the
 isdigit() check is bogus because of interface renaming.  You might well
 want to match all the wan interfaces on a system with a naming scheme
 like lax-wan, sfo-wan, sea-wan.  I suspect it may also break "ifconfig
 gif create".  Second, this turns something that was previously an error
 into something that works which may be confusing.  My suggestion would
 be to implement a new flag, probably -e, which implements egrep style
 matching using regex(3) (usr.bin/pkill looks like a good example.)  This
 would be both more powerful and avoid the whole issue of POLA
 violations.

 -- Brooks