Date:      Sat, 29 Oct 2005 16:38:41 +0100
From:      Thomas Hurst <tom.hurst@clara.net>
To:        Xin LI <delphij@frontfree.net>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org, Marian Hettwer <MH@kernel32.de>
Subject:   Re: MySQL Performance 6.0rc1

--AhhlLboLdkugWU4S

* Xin LI (delphij@frontfree.net) wrote:

> Some observations that I think can affect MySQL performance:
>  - Our malloc(3) implementation might be sub-optimal for the workload.

I've tried linking MySQL against some of the alternatives in ports.  I
must be missing something since I could never make it do more than start
up and lock up.

>  - Lack of some POSIX system call which was implemented in other ways
> (e.g. we do not have fsyncdata yet)
>  - Some detailed implementation difference between our and Linux's
> threading library, or MySQL itself.

Terry posted an interesting comment on /. giving some reasonable
sounding suggestions as to why MySQL's performance is so pessimised on
FreeBSD (and others):

 http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=3D162629&tid=3D7&cid=3D13611424

--=20
Thomas 'Freaky' Hurst