Date:      Wed, 25 Jan 2006 00:44:19 +0300
From:      Sergey Lungu <sergey.lungu@gmail.com>
To:        Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>
Cc:        freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GEOM stripe + concat

On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 15:12:58 -0600 Eric Anderson
<anderson@centtech.com> wrote:

> Sergey Lungu wrote:
> > On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 19:22:57 +0300 I wrote:
> >

> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I have FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE running on my FTP server. There are
> >> three disks on that box: two identical 120GB and one 300GB. I am
> >> using gvinum for stripping between first two disks. I am going to
> >> give gstripe a try, sine gvinum is too unstable.
> >>

> > Since nobody has answered my question, possibly it was too silly, I
> > decided to experiment a bit. I'll answer my questions:
> >

> >> Am I able to concatenate created stripe with 300GB disk?
> >>

> > Yes, you can!
> >

> >> And is it wise at all?
> >>

> > I have made some simple benchmarking on three different geometries.
> > Legend:
> > 	a * b - stripping between a and b
> > 	a + b - concatenation of a and b
> > 	ad1   - 120GB disk
> > 	ad2   - 120GB disk
> > 	ad3   - 300GB disk
> >
> > I tried to upload and then download a 700MB movie. Here are my
> > results:
> >
> > ad1 * ad2:
> > 	Uploading:	1m8.406s
> > 	Downloading:	1m4.656s
> >
> > ad1 * ad2 + ad3:
> > 	Uploading:	1m4.115s
> > 	Downloading:	1m4.962s
> >
> > ad1 + ad2 + ad3:
> > 	Uploading:	1m4.110s
> > 	Downloading:	1m4.971s
> >
> > Conclusion:
> > There is no big difference between all this geometries in FTP
> > context, or possibly there are some on high load!?
> >

> I'm not sure the details of your tests, since 'upload and then
> download' doesn't really explain the test, however I'm guessing you
> were limited by network or the destination rather than the local disk
> - 1m 4s looks alot like 100mbit to me.

Yes, we have 100mbit network.

> You should try one of the many benchmarking tools as a first start
> (try iozone, or bonnie, etc).

I'm not interested in real disk performance, since this box is used
only for ftp. Probably I was wrong from the begining and I am limited
only by the network speed, so software RAID is not the right way to
boost our ftp server :)

> Also, concat won't give you any performance increase, but striping
> could.  You could easily test your 700mb file by doing something like
> this:
>
> dd if=/path/to/700mb-file of=/dev/null bs=1m

I don't think that stripping between two disks can give some
significant performance boost (I may be wrong, of course), especially
in ftp context.

I think I'll use a*b+c geometry, but the question is: Will I have the
same problems with gstripe+gconcat as with gvinum? :)

Thanks for the answer.

--
Sergey Lungu

The deficiency will never show itself during the test runs.