Date:      Fri, 7 Apr 2006 13:32:57 -0700
From:      Oliver Iberien <oliver-forward@charter.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   printing on firefox results in irq storm on printer port

I was printing with native Firefox 1.5.0.1 (FreeBSD 6.0) with CUPS, which
Firefox sees and recognizes. The printer (Xerox N17, local, parallel port)
started cycling through waiting-processing-waiting messages. Rebooting, I saw
a message about an IRQ storm on the printer port being "throttled". Killing
the job took care of this.

Has anyone else had an issue like this? Firefox printing isn't critical but
it's always nice to know what's going on.

Oliver

Incidentally, killing the job required a crash course in lppasswd and the
cupsd.conf file, which I'll describe briefly here for the record... lppasswd
stores encrypted passwords for cups administrative functions. The format is
lppasswd -g group -a user. Permissions to various parts of the cupsd
administrative functions (interface at http://localhost:631/admin) are set in
the various location sections of /usr/local/etc/cupsd.conf. The various
parameters than can be set are at http://www.cups.org/doc-1.1/sam.html.