Date:      Tue, 13 Jun 2006 03:00:41 GMT
From:      Andrew Reilly <andrew-freebsd@areilly.bpc-users.org>
To:        freebsd-amd64@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: amd64/98893: cc error at -O2 on amd64/6-STABLE compiling port ucspi-tcp

The following reply was made to PR amd64/98893; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Andrew Reilly <andrew-freebsd@areilly.bpc-users.org>
To: Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 12:58:56 +1000

 On Mon, Jun 12, 2006 at 10:27:03PM -0400, Kris Kennaway wrote:
 > So I'm confused, is it using -O2 or -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing (the
 > default).  If the former, it's probably an aliasing bug in the source,
 > which is why the default is not plain -O2.

 Sorry for the confusion.  -fno-strict-aliasing was included for
 all compiler alternatives, as per the default.

 I.e.:
 	cc -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing    fails
 	cc -O -fnostrict-aliasing      works
 	gcc41 -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing works

 It doesn't look like an aliasing bug in the source to me, as the
 gethostname result isn't passed through a variable, let alone
 one that could be dereferenced.

 Cheers,

 --
 Andrew