Date:      Tue, 29 Aug 2006 00:15:07 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Philip Hallstrom <freebsd@philip.pjkh.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Does QUOTA work for users not in /etc/password (ie. by UID?)

Hi all -

I was looking at implementing QUOTA for a server, but all of our users are
stored in a database (ftp/pop/imap authenticates against the db).  They
each have their own uid's though so the files are owned "individually".

I would think file system quotas would work for this, but from the docs
I've read so far it doesn't say and all the various commands take a
username as an argument, not a uid...

So without actually trying it out, anyone know if quotas will work without
matching /etc/passwd entries?

Thanks!

-philip