Date:      Sat, 2 Sep 2006 10:51:22 -0700
From:      Gary Kline <kline@sage.thought.org>
To:        Atom Powers <atom.powers@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: System down, won't come up (was: Oh, no....)

On Sat, Sep 02, 2006 at 08:33:44AM -0700, Atom Powers wrote:
> On 9/1/06, Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@freebsd.org> wrote:
> >On Friday,  1 September 2006 at 20:30:24 -0700, Gary Kline wrote:
> >>
> >>       Well, gang, for about the only time in ten or eleven years, my
> >>       FreeBSD has kernel crashed.   The kernel err is 18 I believe a
> >>       int divide by zero.  I backup most stuff regularly but still have
> >>       several megs of data files.   Can I fix this with a fixit disk?
> >>       Or is all hope lost?
>
> If it's only the data you want, try a FreeSBIE boot disk. That will
> give you access to the file system/network, so you can recover your
> data.

	From magnesium.net I followed up to-list that  this 2001
	server had n floppy.  So, until I can beg a favor, and swap
	in a floppy, I'm totally wedged.  --By the way, it's time to
	have a giveaway, so anyone in the metro Seattle area, if you
	areinterested in some seriously heavy-duty but slow HP Kayaks,
	drop a line.

	Greg: I was able to get to the boot screen and hit  "4" [?]
	or "5"--whatever thr alt menu is.  I typed

	boot /boot/kernel.old

	and for a few secs thought that would work.  But upon hitting
	return/[Ehter], things reset.  And-or back to the original
	fatal trap 18.

	This may have been a FS err because I  was pushing  the box
	pretty hard.  I was doing a portsupgrade and
	installing/reinstalling lots of stuff.

	Whenever I can get somebody to temp swap in a floppy I'll
	try FreeSBIE.  MOst of my data is public or personal junk,
	but to my amazement, my last backups of taoEtc.tgz was
	(*cringe*) late '01.

	gary

--
   Gary Kline     kline@thought.org   www.thought.org     Public service Unix