Date:      Thu, 7 Sep 2006 12:19:45 -0700
From:      Ralph Ellis <ralphellis@netscape.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Please Help AMD, mysql, FreeBSD 64

On Thursday 07 September 2006 6:17 am, VeeJay wrote:
> Hello
>
> Just wondering if I can get an advice from this forum?
>
> What kind of hardware i.e.(Processor, RAM) I need to accomplish following
> jobs on a FreeBSD plateform:
>
> I have some mysql dumps around 2 GB each....with each record is 100 KB...
>

> 1. What is the best method to import them into a mysql database without
> getting any "Out of Memory" Error? or freezing MySQL?
>

> 2. If I run a little Perl script and read a mysql record per iteration, how
> can I avoid "illigle memory address" access errors?
>

> Somebody talked about AMD 64 processor with FreeBSD 64 version, etc?
>

> I will be really grateful for your kind advices/suggestions....
>
> Regards
>
> VeeJay
The big advantage to AMD64 is that you can address memory above 4gigs. Below
that and performance is not dramatically different between AMD64 and i386. If
you are going to have a server with 5gigs or more of memory, then you should
benefit from AMD64. How much more memory you might want I don't know. You
might get more help on that from MySQL users.
Ralph Ellis