Date:      Wed, 13 Sep 2006 11:15:04 -0700
From:      Gary Kline <kline@sage.thought.org>
To:        Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ARRRRGH!  Guys, who's breaking -STABLE's GMIRROR code?!

On Wed, Sep 13, 2006 at 04:46:05PM +0200, Pawel Jakub Dawidek wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 09, 2006 at 12:38:13PM -0500, Karl Denninger wrote:
> > This is not cool folks.
>
> I'm really sorry for the breakage. I'm trying to treat -STABLE very
> gently, unfortunately this time I made a mistake.
>
> The change was committed to HEAD at 9 August. The change fixed one bug,
> but introduced another, which I didn't expected. The change seemed to be
> trivial and I only tested that it fixes the bug I was tracking down, I
> haven't looked for regressions.

	Well, after this lengthy discussion, I've switched to -RELEASE.
	-STABLE just ain't...   We all realize that none of us would
	put out a buggy release--not even -CURRENT.  But let me ask
	the next obvious question.  How difficult would it be to
	build a regression test, or suite of tests?  Obviously, this
	could be done over months -> years.   	(In my last lifetime
	as a hacker I was in the kernel test group [a BSD-4.4 based
	release on new architecture]. )  It's a bit hard to believe
	that with all the genius in this effort, that no regression
	testing is done.

	gary

--
   Gary Kline     kline@thought.org   www.thought.org     Public service Unix