Date:      Thu, 16 Nov 2006 16:21:38 +0100 (CET)
From:      "Julian Stacey" <jhs@berklix.org>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   HDMI cards ?

FreeBSD Hardware people,
I'm about to buy a big TV, (for TV not as console).  For FreeBSD+Xorg
linkage I presume DVI is the interface needed, & DVI-I not DVI-D ?
& HDMI to be avoided ? I don't know if FreeBSD & X even drives cards
for HDMI ?

To future proof: If a DVI or HDMI card later dies & need replacing,
Question of what'll then be popular:  I suppose DVI will migrate
to normal PC main boards later, not HDMI.  (HDMI has inbuilt HDCP,
(whereas DVI has HDCP only if TV also has "HD Ready" as mine will
have), so perhaps 1 more reason DVI will win & HDMI may die, to
avoid Hollywood crippling ?)

PS Acronym & resolution notes here http://www.berklix.com/~jhs/txt/tv.html
Julian
--
Julian Stacey.  BSD Unix C Net Consultancy, Munich/Muenchen  http://berklix.com
Mail Ascii, not HTML.		Ihr Rauch = mein allergischer Kopfschmerz.