Date:      Wed, 28 Feb 2007 14:14:15 -0800
From:      Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org>
To:        Thomas Dickey <dickey@radix.net>
Cc:        Garrett Cooper <youshi10@u.washington.edu>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Backspace key "<-" not mapping to ^H

On Wed, Feb 28, 2007 at 03:37:49PM -0500, Thomas Dickey wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 28, 2007 at 06:33:54AM -0800, Garrett Cooper wrote:
> > Jordan Gordeev wrote:
>
> no (I don't recall making changes in that area).
>
> > >See stty(1) and termios(4). You should modify the erase or erase2 values.
>
> reasonable (Ubuntu uses Debian packages iirc, which makes it use DEL,
> FreeBSD uses BS for erase, etc).
>
> > The terminal settings available from gnome (if you open up an xterm /
> > Gnome terminal shell using the Terminal command under the menu) has
>
> gnome-terminal isn't xterm (OP isn't making that distinction either).
>
> xterm has menu settings which can change the assignment of BS/DEL to the
> "backspace" key (unlike gnome-terminal, it has a manpage describing these
> details ;-).

	Yeah... reading (and messing with) this new stuff is an
	education.

	Actually, I was using KDE's "Konsole" term, not Gnome.   With the
	Gnome version of xterm, vi behaves as-usual; with Konsole, nope.
	Unless I'm missing some fine print, I didn't see a way of fixing.
	stty in Konsole says that things are correct--that backspace = ^H
	and so on.  It may be that the child proc doesn't inherit the
	stty setting with thr KDE term whereas it does with Gnome's.
	Solution:: go back to Gnome.

	If anybody has other ideas, please lemmee know!

	gary

--
  Gary Kline  kline@thought.org   www.thought.org  Public Service Unix