Date:      Mon, 9 Apr 2007 15:55:20 -0400
From:      Thomas Dickey <dickey@radix.net>
To:        Rong-en Fan <grafan@gmail.com>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org, ache@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: ncurses is updated

--KsGdsel6WgEHnImy

On Tue, Apr 10, 2007 at 01:49:32AM +0800, Rong-en Fan wrote:
=2E..
> You mean it display sometihng like "tqxu" instead of line drawing=20
> characters?
> Last time I checked, I thought it is terminal related. When I use screen,=
 it
> uses line drawing character. For PuTTY, see:

PuTTY implemented UTF-8 much later than screen and Linux console.

Those (the last two) tend to have $TERM set properly (at least half the tim=
e).
I could let ncurses guess what to do based on $TERM and locale.

For PuTTY, most users have it incorrectly set to "xterm"(*).
There are no clues - so I added the environment variable to help.

(*) It's incorrect because in several areas it does not match xterm.

--=20
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net
ftp://invisible-island.net