Date:      Thu, 24 May 2007 13:58:50 -0400
From:      John Nielsen <lists@jnielsen.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        tradigan@newrevolutions.net
Subject:   Re: gvinum and RAID

On Thursday 24 May 2007 12:43:36 pm tradigan@newrevolutions.net wrote:
> Is it possible to use gvinum to create a striped array that contains the
> root partition?  I want to be able to combine all 4 of the hard disks into
> one logical striped array and install the boot partition on it.  I have
> found documentation on how to mirror the root drive, but none on using a
> striped array for the root drive.
>
> Is this possible?

Not without hardware support, no.

I would create a small (1-2 GB) root partition one two or more of the drives
and mirror it with gmirror (or not.. you must not care about fault tolerance
if you're setting up a giant stripe). You could maybe use the same 1-2GB on
the other drives for swap or tmp space (optionally mirrored as well). Then
use the rest of the space on all the drives for your stripe array. I'd
recommend gstripe over gvinum for ease-of-use, but it's up to you.

JN