Date:      Sat, 1 Dec 2007 21:06:04 +0100
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
To:        David Southwell <david@vizion2000.net>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: duration of the ports freeze

On Sat, Dec 01, 2007 at 11:49:11AM -0800, David Southwell wrote:
> On Saturday 01 December 2007 10:28:40 Erik Trulsson wrote:

> > Personally, as a user, I have never really been even slightly inconvienced
> > by any of the ports tree freezes.
>
> All I can say is bully for you! The question is how do we get rid of a
> p[roblem even if it is not a disadvantage for you personally. It is
> disappointing when one hears arguments not to change simply because one
> particular individual is not disadvantaged by a currently illogical and
> antiquated solution to a problem that will inevitably grow as the number of
> ports increase.

I am quite certain that I am not alone or even unusual in not having a
problem with the current situation.  I believe that for the majority
of FreeBSD users the port freezes do not constitue a major problem - or even
a problem at all.

The current situation apparently constitute a problem for you, which is too
bad, but you have failed to convince me that you are representative for more
than a very small minority of FreeBSD users - and it is of course not possible
to satisfy everybody.  (And it is anyway not me you need to convince, since
I have no official standing at all in the FreeBSD project.)

As for your earlier claims that the process is developer-centric rather than
user-centric, I would say that claim is just plain wrong.
If anything I would say the code-freezes of both the base system and the
ports tree is more inconvenient for the FreeBSD committers and port
mainttainers than for the average user.
The intent is to make sure each release is in good shape, in the belief that
this is what is most important for the average user (from which follows that
the state of the ports tree between releases is of somewhat lesser
importance.)  This belief might of course be wrong, but so far little
evidence has been given to contradict it.

It is disappointing to hear arguments to change simply because one
particular individual is disadvantaged by the current situation, without any
regard given to the fact that such a change might actually inconvenience a
larger number of people.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson