Date:      Fri, 28 Dec 2007 13:09:11 -0700 (MST)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        marcelm@juniper.net
Cc:        embedded@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ocpbus(4)

In message: <20071228.130329.43010549.imp@bsdimp.com>
            "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com> writes:
: In message: <C95AFF48-2C06-40FA-BDB4-C46011EECCF3@juniper.net>
:             Marcel Moolenaar <marcelm@juniper.net> writes:
: : On Dec 28, 2007, at 11:12 AM, M. Warner Losh wrote:
: :
: : > If the ocpbus has a table of bus types, what's wrong with having it
: : > directly assign the driver when it ads its children?
: :
: : It violates newbus in that drivers compete for a device.
: : If the bus assigns the driver, then there's no competition
: : possible. The fact that the bus is abstract should not
: : mean that we should change its paradigm.
:
: No it doesn't.  There's two kinds of busses in newbus.  Those that
: self enumerate based on the hardware present (ie pccard, pci, usb,
: firewire) and then those that are told what's there (oldcard-style
: pccard, pure ISA, I2C, etc).  The busses on the SoC more strongly
: resemble the latter than the former.  The former busses already are
: enumerated with hints, but the actual mechanism is just a few calls
: that could be replaced with something better.

Just a correction... 'The latter busses already are already..."