Date:      Wed, 20 Feb 2008 18:17:41 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, blackdragon@highveldmail.co.za
Subject:   Re: tmpfs: strange behaviour

David Naylor wrote:
 > Oliver Fromme wrote:
 > > What is the exact CFLAGS setting that you use?
 > > Do you use -O2 (or -Os) without -fno-strict-aliasing?
 >
 > I have managed to isolate the problem and it is definitely tmpfs
 > related.  If the directory that I'm installing into is tmpfs then it
 > will fail, if it is ufs then it works.
 >
 > I recompiled tmpfs module (and reloaded) with CFLAGS='' with the same result.
 >
 > As an aside I have found that the default CFLAGS for src are: -O2
 > -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe.

For most parts of src, but some override it.

 > Would -fstrict-aliasing break anything in base/sys?

I think src/sys is clean with regards to aliasing, but I'm
not 100% sure.  Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

I recommend not to put a CFLAGS line in /etc/make.conf at
all.  So far I haven't seen an example of a really useful
CFLAGS line in this thread, but several examples that could
possibly cause damage.  It's best not to override the
default (which is there for a reason).

If you want better optimization, a appropriate CPUTYPE=...
line is probably a better idea.

Best regards
   Oliver

"We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing,
are doing the impossible for the ungrateful.
We have done so much, for so long, with so little,
we are now qualified to do anything with nothing."
        -- Mother Teresa