Date:      Tue, 15 Apr 2008 17:59:37 -0600
From:      Chad Perrin <perrin@apotheon.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: determining what's in the base system

--/WwmFnJnmDyWGHa4

On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 01:31:23AM +0200, Mel wrote:
> On Wednesday 16 April 2008 01:14:50 Chad Perrin wrote:
>=20
> > Assume you have a FreeBSD system installed that has been running for at
> > least a year, with a bunch of graphical desktop and productivity softwa=
re
> > installed, and have both installed and uninstalled a lot of software ov=
er
> > that time.  Now imagine that you want to know whether a given utility w=
as
> > something that came with the base system or was installed by some port =
or
> > package later on.  What's the easiest way to do that (preferably without
> > installing the FreeBSD base system on a computer and checking whether t=
he
> > utility is present)?
>=20
>=20
> If you didn't change LOCALBASE/PREFIX during installation, anything=20
> below /usr/local belongs to ports. Only exception would be kernel modules=
=20
> that need to be loaded before /usr is mounted (like graphic card drivers).
>=20
> See hier(7).

I definitely should have thought of that.  Thanks for the wake-up call.

>=20
> Also, grep -v '^@' /var/db/pkg/*/+CONTENTS lists all files installed by p=
orts.

That's more the sort of answer I was expecting, but seems less easily
employed than just using `which` to determine whether something's located
under /usr/local.

--=20
Baltasar Gracian: "A wise man gets more from his enemies than a fool from
his friends."

--/WwmFnJnmDyWGHa4

--/WwmFnJnmDyWGHa4--