Date:      Tue, 17 Jun 2008 22:05:14 -0700
From:      prad <prad@towardsfreedom.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        wmoran@potentialtech.com
Subject:   Re: internet slowdown

On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 08:23:32 -0400
Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com> wrote:

> Is the console responsive when this happens?

when it bogs it takes ages to even ssh into the server.

> It doesn't sound like a
> CPU issue to me -- ICMP messages are low enough CPU overhead that the
> system would have to be pretty badly bogged for CPU starvation to
> cause problems.

agreed - otherwise why would the cpu be idle.

> What do your network traffic graphs show during the slowdowns?
> Perhaps some sort of network flood occurring?

we are looking at flow-tools unless you have any other suggestions.

there has been no problems for 2+ days, but we are going to follow
through on this anyways and be prepared.

thank you for your ideas bill and i'll let you know if we learn
anything.

--
In friendship,
prad

                                      ... with you on your journey
Towards Freedom
http://www.towardsfreedom.com (website)
Information, Inspiration, Imagination - truly a site for soaring I's