Date:      Thu, 26 Jun 2008 13:28:47 +0200
From:      Lars Engels <lars.engels@0x20.net>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Stop Adobe Flash Petition

This message is in MIME format and has been PGP signed.

--=_5w791ays8x0k

Quoting Martin Tournoij <carpetsmoker@rwxrwxrwx.net>:

> Sign it here:
>
> http://www.petitiononline.com/0034655a/petition.html
>
> The number of Adobe Flash sites are growing, and an increasing
> amount of sites will simply cease to function when Flash is disabled
> or unavailable.
>
> I would like to call to all web developers to (re)consider their use
> of Flash, while it does have place on the web, it is often used in the
> wrong way, on the wrong place, in a badly implemented manner.
>
> Why I dislike flash:
>
> o It often adds little or nothing to a website, most things can often
> be achieved with either CSS or Javascript (or a combination) which
> suffer from much less problems.
>
> o Flash is not usable, for example it often breaks the back button,
> "find in page" does not work, setting font size does not work, and
> many more.
>
> o Browser settings such as font size, enabling/disabled sound in web
> pages etc. do not apply to flash, leaving the page's designer, not the
> user, in control of the browser.
>
> o Flash is not accessible, screen readers, braille displays etc. often
> have serious difficulty accessing flash pages.
>
> o Progressive enhancement is difficult to achieve with flash, unlike
> for example CSS or Javascript, flash is binary data which interacts
> poorly with HTML.
>
> o Flash is not supported on all operating systems, and only on a very
> limited set of architectures.
>
> o Flash is slow, if you do not have a new $1000 PC but a somewhat
> older "office PC" flash can be a serious performance hit.
>
> o There are a number of security issues with flash, and Adobe has
> never seemed to quick/concerned to fix them.
>
> o Animation is annoying, I want to access information, not watch a
> "cool" animation.
>
> Sincerely,
> The Undersigned

While I totally agree to the above statements, tell me the sense of an =20
online petition. Do you know a single petition that changed _anything_?
The petition is adressed "Web Designers". How should they get aware of =20
the petition?
You cannot change the internet with that. Every big commercial site =20
has flash. It's colorful, it's loud, it attracts the people to their =20
products. So you won't convince the webmaster of these sites to change.

Flash sucks but we can't avoid it. :-(

--=_5w791ays8x0k

--=_5w791ays8x0k--