Date:      Wed, 9 Jul 2008 11:37:22 -0400
From:      Josh Paetzel <josh@tcbug.org>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: amd64, Thinkpad T61 and snd_hda

--nextPart3118557.SiJzg6Zh5p

On Monday 07 July 2008 11:43:50 pm Kurt Buff wrote:
> All,
>
> I've posted about this on questions@, and have gotten some feedback,
> but have brought it here as it seems more appropriate.
>

> I have a recent Thinkpad T61 running amd64 7-STABLE, and grepping
> dmesg reveals that the sound system is detected as an Intel 82801H,
> and the codec used is announced as Analog Devices AD1984.
>
> I've made the following entries:
>
> /boot/loader.conf
>      snd_hda_load=3D"YES"
>
> /boot/devices.hints
>      hint.pcm.0.config=3D"gpio0 gpio1 gpio2 gpio3 gpio4 gpio5 gpio6 gpio7"
>
> I've tried many variations on the above hint line, with no difference
> in results. That is, while the sound now works in some fashion, I'm
> not getting desired output from the built-in speakers - it just sounds
> like it's coming from a long way away - I can barely make it out. I've
> manually located the sound as coming from the speakers, and adjusting
> the software sliders makes it no louder, though I can silence the
> sound with them.
>
> What else should I be trying to get this working?
>
> Kurt

Does the T61 have the same volume buttons the T60 does?  On my T60 there ar=
e=20
buttons that appear to act below the OS level.  Perhaps make sure (by bangi=
ng=20
on the volume up button like a wild donkey) that those aren't turned way=20
down.

=2D-=20
Thanks,

Josh Paetzel

PGP: 8A48 EF36 5E9F 4EDA 5A8C 11B4 26F9 01F1 27AF AECB