Date:      Tue, 12 Aug 2008 19:40:05 GMT
From:      Jean-Charles Longuet <jclonguet@laposte.net>
To:        freebsd-rc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: conf/126392: rc.conf ifconfig_xx keywords cannot be escaped

The following reply was made to PR conf/126392; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Jean-Charles Longuet <jclonguet@laposte.net>
To: bug-followup@freebsd.org, jclonguet@free.fr
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 21:10:04 +0200

  From what I understand, wpa_supplicant is only used by client stations.
 In my case, I am configuring an access point with hostapd for the wpa
 handling, and do not require wpa_supplicant in any way, hence the
 configuration line I added in the intial report.

 More generaly, keywords can not be used anywhere in the ifconfig command
 line: you cannot set your ssid to such values, for example. There are
 workarounds, like running an extra ifconfig command in start_if.ath0,
 but that's just plain ugly, and I use FreeBSD to avoid this. Having an
 extra keyword meaning "do not look thereafter" could do the trick
 (something like "--" on command lines).

 --  Jc