Date:      Fri, 20 Mar 2009 20:26:23 -0700
From:      David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
To:        x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Anyone have an xorg.conf to share for an nVidia NV17 [GeForce4 440 Go]

--ODuSc6VS8Ujd6kq6

--B+wlbfluP3bmA2Yb

The video card in my rather-patched laptop, which has been a 64MB ATi
card for at least a couple of years or so, appears to show signs of
(thermal?) stress.

Among the partial carcasses of laptops from which I've been scavenging
parts are a couple of nVidia cards.  I tried one of them, and the
"bloom" effect on the screen when I tried powering the machine up
brought back memories of the business trip where that card died (near
the end of the trip).

But I have a newer nVidia Corporation NV17 [GeForce4 440 Go] card that
appears to function OK (at least in text mode), but if I try to run

	Xorg -configure

the attempt errors out; I've attached a typescript.

I'm pretty current on my ports -- I update my ports tree nightly & run

	portmaster -ad

daily; here are a few relevant ports:

xorg-7.4
xorg-drivers-7.4
xorg-libraries-7.4
xorg-server-1.5.3_7,1
xf86-video-nv-2.1.12_2

(It's a laptop; I have a lot of ports installed.)

Also, I build my ports while running FreeBSD 6.4-STABLE; presently,
that's:

FreeBSD g1-35.catwhisker.org 6.4-STABLE FreeBSD 6.4-STABLE #675 r190140: Fr=
i Mar 20 05:06:57 PDT 2009     root@g1-35.catwhisker.org:/common/S1/obj/usr=
/src/sys/CANARY  i386

Anyway, I was thinking that if I could get a copy of a working xorg.xonf
file for such a beastie, that would at least get me up & running again.

Of course, if anyone has other ideas on getting this bootstrapped, I
welcome them.

Thanks in advance.

Peace,
david
--=20
Depriving a girl or boy of an opportunity for education is evil.

--B+wlbfluP3bmA2Yb

Script started on Fri Mar 20 20:05:28 2009
g1-35# Xorg -configure

X.Org X Server 1.5.3
Release Date: 5 November 2008
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: FreeBSD 6.4-STABLE i386=20
Current Operating System: FreeBSD g1-35.catwhisker.org 6.4-STABLE FreeBSD 6=
.4-STABLE #675 r190140: Fri Mar 20 05:06:57 PDT 2009     root@g1-35.catwhis=
ker.org:/common/S1/obj/usr/src/sys/CANARY i386
Build Date: 09 March 2009  04:44:31AM
=20
	Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (=3D=3D) default setting,
	(++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(=3D=3D) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Fri Mar 20 20:05:35 2009
List of video drivers:
	nv
	radeonhd
	ati
	radeon
	sis
	mga
	i810
	savage
	i128
	mach64
	r128
	s3virge
	cirrus
	cyrix
	glint
	ark
	i740
	imstt
	vmware
	nsc
	tseng
	chips
	neomagic
	apm
	dummy
	siliconmotion
	voodoo
	intel
	s3
	newport
	trident
	tdfx
	rendition
	tga
	fbdev
	vesa
(EE) module ABI major version (2) doesn't match the server's version (4)
(EE) Failed to load module "cyrix" (module requirement mismatch, 0)
(EE) module ABI major version (2) doesn't match the server's version (4)
(EE) Failed to load module "imstt" (module requirement mismatch, 0)
/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: /usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//nsc_drv.so: Unde=
fined symbol "xf86GetPciVideoInfo"
g1-35# exit

Script done on Fri Mar 20 20:06:20 2009

--B+wlbfluP3bmA2Yb--