Date:      Tue, 28 Jul 2009 23:22:21 GMT
From:      bob frazier <bobf@mrp3.com>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   kern/137228: synaptics support delays 'mouse up' events when no motion

>Number:         137228
>Category:       kern
>Synopsis:       synaptics support delays 'mouse up' events when no motion
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
system hardware:  HP Pavilion "entertainment PC" with 2 button synaptics mouse pad

(from dmesg)
psm0: <PS/2 Mouse> irq 12 on atkbdc0
psm0: [GIANT-LOCKED]
psm0: [ITHREAD]
psm0: model Synaptics Touchpad, device ID 0

in loader.conf
hw.psm.synaptics_support="1"

Xorg version info
X.Org X Server 1.6.0
Release Date: 2009-2-25
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: FreeBSD 7.2-STABLE amd64
Current Operating System: FreeBSD BSDSilver.SFT.local 7.2-STABLE FreeBSD 7.2-STABLE #1: Tue Jun 30 21:02:37 PDT 2009     root@BSDSilver.SFT.local:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC amd64
Build Date: 03 July 2009  11:26:38AM

running gnome 2.26 (using 7.2-RELEASE ports)
using '/dev/sysmouse' for mouse, running moused

(from rc.conf)
moused_enable="YES"
moused_flags="-3 -a 2"

whenever I single-click onto an entity from within Xorg, such as a menu, button, or scrollbar, the "up click" is obviously delayed.  The delay is approximately 1 second in length.  This behavior only seems to exist when synaptics touchpad support is enabled.  Additionally, certain "odd behaviors" (like excessive page scrolling when clicking above or below the 'knob' in a scrollbar) appears to be related.  If I move the mouse slightly by 'wiggling my finger' while clicking the button this behavior is usually avoided.  This suggests that the 'up click' event is not being sent unless there is a mouse motion event.

Please note that the OTHER irritations caused by NOT having 'synaptics support' enabled are actually worse than this bug; that is, over-sensitive mouse pad randomly invoking 'tap' at unwanted sections of the screen due to having my palms near but not touching it while typing.  I've also found a way to make TAP go away by setting its threshold to 9999.  That being said, please address this other issue, maybe by adding a 0.1 second polling loop when there's no motion to check and report button state (that might fix it).
>How-To-Repeat:
1.  without mouse motion, single click the 'x' in the title bar of an open window in a gnome desktop application.

2.  note the delay before the button press is acknowledged

3.  single click on any menu without moving the mouse.  Note menu disappears without mouse motion.

4.  repeat the same process while 'slightly wiggling' a finger on the mouse pad to initiate minimal motion.  Note menu behavior (it doesn't go away).

5.  open a shell (such as gnome-terminal) and 'cat' a large text file to get several hundred lines of scrollable text.  Then attempt to use the 'scroll by page' feature (i.e. click above or below the scroll bar knob) without any other mouse motion.  Note odd 'multi page scroll' behavior.

6.  Repeat the above process, this time with enough 'finger wiggle' on the mouse pad to generate slight motion.  Note the behavior is corrected.