Date:      Sat, 12 Sep 2009 16:26:14 +0100
From:      Frank Mitchell <mitchell@wyatt672earp.force9.co.uk>
To:        ukfreebsd@uk.freebsd.org, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Ordeal By OtherBSD

Hi again:

I experimented with Multi Booting various BSD flavours.

Looks like I spoke too soon about NetBSD. I tried installing the latest NetBSD
Release and it seemed there was no way to stop it affecting the FreeBSD
Slice, which then appeared to have been wiped clean. So it looks inadvisable
to install NetBSD unless you plan to reinstall FreeBSD completely afterwards.

I tried OpenBSD to see if that fared any better. OpenBSD tries to mount other
Slices too, warning that all data will be deleted. I managed to avoid this
and kept my FreeBSD alive, but I was lucky. If you don't have experience with
OpenBSD's unfriendly Fdisk and Disklabel Editor, you risk losing your entire
Hard Disk configuration. And you need to ensure you keep your FreeBSD Boot
Selector, because OpenBSD doesn't provide one.

Then I tried a DragonFly install, which was buggy but harmless. However, while
the DragonFly Boot Selector can start FreeBSD, it emerges that the FreeBSD
Boot Selector won't necessarily start DragonFly.

Note that all these OtherBSDs still allowed me to multiboot Linux Distros in
the DOS Extended Partition. This was possible because OpenSuse lets you put
GRUB in a Custom Boot Partition, which in my case is the Ext2 Slice reserved
for Data.

Yours truly: Frank Mitchell