Date:      Thu, 27 May 2010 08:48:40 -0700
From:      Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd@jdc.parodius.com>
To:        Olaf Seibert <O.Seibert@cs.ru.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: nfe0 loses network connectivity (8.0-RELEASE-p2)

On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 03:13:10PM +0200, Olaf Seibert wrote:
> Is there a way to increase the maximum number of mbufs, or better yet,
> limit the use by whatever is using them too much?

Regarding your first question: I believe kern.ipc.nmbclusters controls
what you want.  This is a loader.conf tunable so you'll need to reboot.
Network buffer tuning is documented, Section 11.13.2.  Please read this
before adjusting the tunable.

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/configtuning-kernel-limits.html

It would probably be more effective in the long run to find out why your
mbuf count is so high and determine if said situation is caused by a
problem with the NIC driver, or if there's something going on on your
machine that's causing it.

Regarding your 2nd question: not to my knowledge.

--
| Jeremy Chadwick                                   jdc@parodius.com |