Date:      Sun, 20 Jun 2010 22:35:30 +0100
From:      Mike Clarke <jmc-freebsd2@milibyte.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Updating ports - KDE3.5 and phonon

I'm about to upgrade my ports, since it's over 3 months since the last
upgrade I'm expecting this to be a mega upgrade. In preparation for
this I've run portmaster -na to get all the configs up to date and
avoid the need for frequent manual intervention when I run the upgrade.

This highlighted a potential problem with multimedia/qt4-phonon

> ===>>> Port directory: /usr/ports/multimedia/qt4-phonon
>         ===>>> This port is marked IGNORE
>         ===>>> conflicts with multimedia/phonon. You have defined
> WITH_KDE_PHONON to override Qt4 phonon
>
>         ===>>> If you are sure you can build it, remove the
>                IGNORE line in the Makefile and try again.
>
> ===>>> Update for qt4-phonon-4.6.1 failed
> ===>>> Aborting update

Well WITH_KDE_PHONON might have been defined somewhere, but not by me!

Checking with UPDATING shows:

>   WITH_QT_PHONON global knob has been introduced to allow selection
> between multimedia/qt4-phonon* ports (a bit outdated Phonon, which is
> shipped with Qt4) and multimedia/phonon* ports.  Since KDE SC 4.4
> requires fresh Phonon, multimedia/phonon* ports are installed by
> default.
>
>   If you don't use KDE, you may set WITH_QT_PHONON=yes in
> /etc/make.conf and continue to use Qt4 Phonon implementation ports.
>
>   If you want to use KDE SC 4.4 (or if you want the latest Phonon),
> do not define WITH_QT_PHONON, delete multimedia/qt4-phonon* ports,
> and install multimedia/phonon*:
>
>   If you use portmaster:
>
>     portmaster -o multimedia/phonon multimedia/qt4-phonon
>     portmaster -o multimedia/phonon-gstreamer
> multimedia/qt4-phonon-gst

I'm using KDE but it's version 3.5 which isn't mentioned above so am I
right in assuming that in my case I put WITH_QT_PHONON=yes
in /etc/make.conf because I'm not using KDE 4.4, even though I'm using
KDE?

--
Mike Clarke