Date:      Fri, 10 Sep 2010 23:48:30 +0300
From:      Aleksandr Rybalko <ray@ddteam.net>
To:        Julien Laffaye <kimelto@gmail.com>
Cc:        David DEMELIER <demelier.david@gmail.com>, Doug Barton <dougb@freebsd.org>, Matthew Jacob <mj@feral.com>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DHCP server in base

On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 21:06:45 +0200
Julien Laffaye <kimelto@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 8:36 PM, Doug Barton <dougb@freebsd.org> wrote:
> > As I've said many times, I'm ready to have it out when there is consensus to
> > do so. The usual discussion goes like this:
> >
> > 1. Get BIND out of the base!
> > 2. If we remove it, the command line tools (dig, host, nslookup) go with it.
>
> DragonflyBSD chose to remove BIND and to use drill as a replacement [1].
> Don't know if it meet our requirements, though.
>
> [1]: http://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/mailarchive/submit/2010-03/msg00003.html

Hi,

another argument about hostapd :)
if have access point we must have way to assign IP for AP clients.

Last spring I made firmware based on FreeBSD for router with only 4MB NOR flash (D-Link DIR-320).
Since this device is router I must be able to serve DHCP. And current implementation of dhcpclient, that we have, is same isc-dhcp, and I replace system dhcpclient with ports one+dhcpd but with small patch that put basic dhcp utils onto libdhcp.so.

So:
1. We already have code for libdhcp in base.
2. We already use isc-dhcp as dhcpclient.
3. We already build small-size embedded routers firmware with DHCP server.
4. We have hostap and other router/AP functionality.

So why not include dhcpd in base now?

--
Aleksandr Rybalko <ray@ddteam.net>