Date:      Sat, 3 Mar 2012 21:51:01 +0100
From:      Nikola =?utf-8?B?UGF2bG92acSH?= <nzp@riseup.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sysinstall

On Sun, Mar 04, 2012 at 06:37:07AM +1030, David Walker wrote:
> So I installed amd64 9.0 tonight and decided against installing "ports".
> I'm at a point now where I'm thinking about adding it and I see sysinstall:
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/ports-using.html
> Looks easy.
>
> For some unknown reason sysinstall spits the following:
>
> Warning: The disc currently in the drive is either not a FreeBSD
> disc or it is an older (pre 1.2.5) FreeBSD CD which does not have a
> version number on it. Do you wish to use this disc anyway?

It's probably because sysinstall doesn't understand the new distribution
format--everything is now in /usr/freebsd-dist/ neatly packed in single
archives, instead of the old way in /X.Y-RELENG_TAG/ with floppy-friendly
split archives.

> Like any sane person who burned this CD a few hours previously on the
> same machine from within FreeBSD and then installed from it shortly
> afterwards I click "Yes" ...
>
> So that doesn't work.
> I wonder what would have happened if I had elected to install "ports"
> during the initial install ...

If you did it the normal way with bsdinstall then I guess everything
would install correctly.  But anyway, you can use the other methods
mentioned in the handbook.  Doing it with

# portsnap fetch extract

seems the most straight forward way to me.

--
If you can't say anything good about someone, sit right here by me.
		-- Alice Roosevelt Longworth