Date:      4 May 2012 14:41:43 -0000
From:      Scott Ballantyne <sdb@ssr.com>
To:        emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can't install Windows 7

Just to follow up on my own email of a month ago about not being able
to install from dvd and/or use the DVD from the guest OS on VirtualBox:

> On Sa.,   7. Apr. 2012 23:26:04 CEST, Scott Ballantyne <sdb@ssr.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi again,
> >
> > Trying to install windows 7 from the DVD, I keep getting the following
> > error:
> >
> > --------------------------
> > Failed to open a session for the virtual machine Windows7.
> >
> > Cannot open host device '/dev/cd0' for readonly access. Check the
> > permissions of that device (VERR_ACCESS_DENIED).
> >
> > Result Code: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
> > Component: Console
> > Interface: IConsole {1968b7d3-e3bf-4ceb-99e0-cb7c913317bb}
> > --------------------
> >
> > And:
> >
> > $ ls -l /dev/cd0 /dev/xpt0 /dev/pass0
> > crw-rw----   1 root   operator       0, 112 Apr   7 17:08 /dev/cd0
> > crw-rw----   1 root   operator       0, 108 Apr   7 17:08 /dev/pass0
> > crw-rw----   1 root   operator       0,   76 Apr   7 17:08 /dev/xpt0
> >
> > $ id
> > uid=103(sdb) gid=20(staff)
> > groups=20(staff),0(wheel),5(operator),32(texuser),920(vboxusers)
> >
> > So there should not be a permission problem.   The DVD drive is fine,
> > and the DVD is fine.
>
> Either follow http://wiki.freebsd.org/VirtualBox on how to correctly setup cd/dvd passthrough or create a disk image from /dev/cd0 with dd and use that in vbox.

Problem being the instructions on http://wiki.freebsd.org/VirtualBox
are slightly inaccurate. You need to set 0660 permissions on all pass
devices (or figure out which one is being used), not just pass0.

It might be helpful if VirtualBox mentioned this in the error
message, as in "Permission denied openining /dev/pass3".

In any case, hope this helps someone out down the road.

Thanks again for the virtualbox port.

Best,
Scott
--