Date:      Tue, 13 Nov 2012 20:09:08 -0800
From:      Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
To:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
Subject:   Re: well, try here first...

On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 02:35:43AM +0100, Polytropon wrote:
> > 	box.  it's got a web interface and runs some flavor of firewall that
> > 	I never studied.  yuk.
>
> I assume your "HW firewall" protects you to the outside. Of
> course it should allow SSH connections from the outside to
> the "tao" box _if_ you want it that way.

	my netgear and pfSense setup surprised me this afternoon.  the
	initial setup listed my internal IP as

	10.47.0.114,

	but something I did changed the DHCP leases section to

	10.47.0.113 .

	after that, I could ssh out and then ssh back to tao.

> But I was thinking about the firewall run by the Fedora OS
> that might block SSH connections to "tao", no matter from
> where they come, just as if you would have set up FreeBSD's
> ipfw with the default to deny connections: without explicitely
> enabling SSH connections the server cannot be reached, no
> matter if it's running.

	I havent used ipfw for many years.  the most recent firewall I
	ran was on FBSD 5.X and was {i think} "pfw".  I got quite good
	at it.  I should learn more about plain "pf" and pfSense.
	do you know if pf/pfsense defaults to DENY incoming connections?
	that would explain a Lot!

> > > There is a nice summary on how to get the OpenSSH server
> > > set up on Fedora:
> > >
> > > http://www.techotopia.com/index.php/Configuring_Fedora_Linux_Remote_Access_using_SSH
> > >
> > > Basically, it's about installing and enabling it. The article
> > > also discusses how to enable configure the firewall properly.
> > >

> > 	thank you.  I'll ck it out.  also google other stuff if I have to.
>
> Check if the Techotopia article matches your version of Fedora.
> It shows how to install and enable the SSH server and also
> mentions the "built-in" firewall that has to be configured
> to allow connections to that server.

	the URL you had was fedora-13; what I installed fedora-17.
	and just recently--maybe when I rebooted--i saw fedora-19[?]
	not sure... .

> >From my limited experience with Fedora (haven't used it for some
> time), this looks like what you need to do.

	well, the deal is that my volunteer system admin worked for
	red hat for about 5 years.  I'm more used to ubuntu, but my
	friend says that im on my own....

	anyway, things are starting to eork.  [!]

--
 Gary Kline  kline@thought.org  http://www.thought.org  Public Service Unix
              Twenty-six years of service to the Unix community.