Date:      Mon, 26 Nov 2012 18:46:43 +1100
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter@rulingia.com>
To:        Howard Goldstein <hg@queue.to>
Cc:        freebsd-office@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fix for slow print preview

--fdj2RfSjLxBAspz7

[Somewhat late]

On 2012-Nov-09 11:14:27 -0500, Howard Goldstein <hg@queue.to> wrote:
>I never did find precisely where the somewhere was (the X process was
>eating up 100% of the cpu during this thumbnail draw) but the fix for me
>was to change cups and the lo printer driver to the the ones marked with
>"-ijs".  In my situation the old driver was an ordinary laserjet4
>attached to cups with the recommended HP .ppd from HP.  *These old
>drivers are not IJS compliant and that results in the long delays*

I've seen this as well.  It's extremely noticable when using X
remotely (it can take 30s or more to show the thumbnail) and the
poking I've done at it suggess that OO/LO is rendering the page into
the Xserver and then retrieving the resultant bitmap - but doing so as
inefficiently as possible.

I'm not using CUPS, so switching CUPS drivers won't work, but I might
have a further look into exactly what is happening.

--=20
Peter Jeremy

--fdj2RfSjLxBAspz7

--fdj2RfSjLxBAspz7--