Date:      Thu, 10 Jan 2013 17:50:00 GMT
From:      Paul Beard <paulbeard@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-ports-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/175175: rrdtool 1.4 hangs without generating graphs, multiple jobs running at once

The following reply was made to PR ports/175175; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Paul Beard <paulbeard@gmail.com>
To: bug-followup@FreeBSD.org,
 paulbeard@gmail.com
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 09:45:10 -0800

 I ran 'postmaster -t .'on rrdtool this morning and that did resolve the =
 issue of the jobs just hanging and never exiting. So now the graphs are =
 output correctly, which means cacti pages load properly and the server =
 doesn't end up with a load average over 40.=20

 But the rrd files themselves aren't being updated. They stopped being =
 updated last night, probably around when I noticed this and =
 rebuilt/reinstalled rrdtool. If an older version of rrdtool tried to =
 write to the newer files (I accidentally installed 1.2 over 1.4 since I =
 mistakenly assumed rrdtool without a version number was 1.0) would that =
 damage them to where they could not be written to by 1.4?=20

 Never mind. I see that rrdtool, called by cacti's cmd.php process, will =
 update the timestamps, at the very least. Spine won't, for whatever =
 reason.=20

 But now, after some more tinkering, that doesn't work anymore either.=20

 I think I'll leave it alone now.=20

 --
 Paul Beard

 Are you trying to win an argument or solve a problem?=20