Date:      Fri, 25 Oct 2013 20:26:43 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Matthias Apitz <guru@unixarea.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: something in ports for presenting a DB schema

On Fri, 25 Oct 2013 15:18:52 +0200, Matthias Apitz wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a relational DB (Sybase) of around 50 tables and would like to
> draw some graphic of the relation between various table / columns;
> it is not so important that the tool itself has a graphical editor (I'm
> used to work with ASCII files, vim and groff), but the output must be
> somehow a graphic, PNG or PDF.
>
> Do we have something for this in our ports?

Even though it's not primarily intended for that specific
purpose, you could use xfig. Also possible: LibreOffice's
drawing components, then export to PDF.

I know there is some toolkit that can be used in combination
with LaTeX, its output is typically EPS (use "convert" from
ImageMagick to turn that into PNG if required), but sadly
I just can't remember the name... It's a typical tool used
by "science people" and "documentation people" to draw such
diagrams to be included in documents...

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany