Date:      Tue, 28 Oct 2014 17:18:58 +0100
From:      "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com>
To:        "Russell L. Carter" <rcarter@pinyon.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: print/acroread9 Adobe Reader

"Russell L. Carter" wrote:
> Hi Julian,
>
> On 10/28/14 07:00, Julian H. Stacey wrote:
> > Hi hrs@FreeBSD.org & ports@freebsd.org
> >
> > I went to install print/acroread9 for current & found it was not in
> > ports/.
> >

> [...]
>
> > I am Forced to use Adobe Reader by British government tax office.
> > http://www.berklix.com/~jhs/txt/ct600.html
>
> [...]
>
> Just curious, have you tried to use firefox to sign those forms?

No.  Good idea, but before I can click the form to do the signing
it would have to display the form, & firefox fails to do that, I
guess because PDF 1.7 is rare (though no longer a new format).

file ct600.pdf
	ct600.pdf: PDF document, version 1.7
firefox ct600.pdf
	Please wait...
	If this message is not eventually replaced by the proper
	contents of the document, your PDF viewer may not be able
	to display this type of document.
	You can upgrade to the latest version of Adobe Reader for
	Windows, Mac, or Linux by visiting
	http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html.
	For more assistance with Adobe Reader visit
	http://www.adobe.com/support/products/acrreader.html.
	Windows is either a registered trademark or a trademark of
	Microsoft Corporation in the United States and/or other
	countries. Mac is a trademark of Apple Inc., registered in
	the United States and other countries. Linux is the registered
	trademark of Linus Torvalds in the U.S. and other countries

> I was
> tied to acroread for more than ten years because of all of the pdfs I
> deal with but recently discovered that firefox renders pdfs as well as
> acroread.  Don't know about the signing part though.

I normaly use graphics/xpdf for up to PDF document, version 1.5,
but a couple of years ago (probably when I first encountered PDF
document, version 1.7 from the UK tax office) I searched & listed
all PDF handling tools I could find on FreeBSD; most are noted with
"pdf" in
	http://www.berklix.com/~jhs/src/bsd/fixes/FreeBSD/ports/jhs/print/Makefile.local
& other parallel ../*/Makefile.local , & a few more notes if one scrolls down
to "pdf doc viewing notes" in
	http://www.berklix.com/~jhs/bin/.csh/syntax

I didnt find anything that would work on 1.7 except acroread,
(+ I didnt know what tax office wanted re. doc signing, so my first
attempt was with an Adobe Reader running on a small XP partition
(Ugh!!), till I escaped back to FreeBSD.

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey, BSD Linux Unix C Sys Eng Consultant Munich http://berklix.com
 Indent previous with "> ".  Interleave reply paragraphs like a play script.