Date:      Sun, 18 Jan 2015 02:09:06 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Damien Fleuriot <ml@my.gd>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Request for comments - svnup in base ?

On Sat, 17 Jan 2015 16:24:12 +0100, Damien Fleuriot wrote:
> On a related topic, how would you guys feel about svnup being part of BASE ?
>
> Or perhaps, include a bootstrap install much like pkg has.
>
> I for one, would very much like it.

I think the same. If you look into FreeBSD's history of
dealing with source code checkout methods, you'll find
this: port cvsup-without-gui -> base csup -> move to
SVN -> port subversion -> ? - here a tool to get updates
from source control would be nice. In the past, the
CVS-based tool did allow you to "make update" for the
/usr/src and /usr/ports tree. For the ports, we have
portsnap to obtain a snapshot (not _precisely_ current),
but for /usr/src, we currently don't have a tool in
the base system. Installing the full subversion port
isn't that hard, but a csup-lookalike in the base
would be nice, for the simple task to checkout sources,
even if it's just a bootstrap mechanism (cf. pkg).

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany