Date:      Mon, 20 Jul 2015 12:08:24 -0400
From:      mfv <mfv@bway.net>
To:        merlyn@stonehenge.com (Randal L. Schwartz)
Cc:        Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.ilk.org>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sync Ports to Packages

>mfv> To do this I first upgrade the binaries by invoking "pkg upgrade".
>mfv> Then, after using a web browser to check out the appropriate beefy
>mfv> server, I identify the build number of that upgrade.  Finally, I
>mfv> update the local ports tree by running "svnup ports -n <build#>".
>mfv> When finished, the ports and packages are synced.
>
>Why not just do it the other way around?  Check out the latest ports,
>and build them (even customize them) with poudriere?  Then you'll know
>precisely that your trees are in sync.

Hello Lowell,

Thanks for your comments.  They prompted me to take a closer look at
poudriere.

As FreeBSD is only on one workstation with a handful of customized
ports I thought poudriere was overkill.  Moreover, I mistakenly thought
that all my ports had to be built using this program but recently
discovered that a customized list of ports is possible.  I'll give it a
try.

Cheers ...

Marek