Date:      Tue, 23 Aug 2016 14:41:48 +1200
From:      Pierre Guinoiseau <pierre@guinoiseau.eu>
To:        "Russell L. Carter" <rcarter@pinyon.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: fontconfig update uglifies fonts

--UHN/qo2QbUvPLonB

Hi,

can I suggest replacing Bitstream Vera with DejaVu? Bitstream Vera fonts
have been unmaintained for more than 12 years and have a lot of hinting
issues, whereas DejaVu fonts are a very popular and well maintained fork
of them and have a very nice hinting. It might fix your issue and you
won't notice the difference.

Cheers,
Pierre

On 2016-08-22 17:01:33, Russell L. Carter <rcarter@pinyon.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>=20
> On 10/stable amd64, the recent fontconfig update makes the fonts used
> in thunderbird, firefox, (u)xterm, and emacs quite a bit uglier.  The
> font strokes seem to be thicker and fuzzier.  Emacs I fixed by
> reinstalling bitstream-vera, but (u)xterm use that and they're still
> broken.  I ran fc-cache -f, but no change.  I turned off antialiasing
> via /usr/local/etc/fonts/local.conf and that made the strokes nice and
> thin but overall even uglier.
>=20
> Any ideas/pointers on how to fix this?
>=20