Date:      Tue, 23 Aug 2016 13:42:01 +0100
From:      Matt Smith <fbsd@xtaz.co.uk>
To:        Mathieu Arnold <mat@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Bernard Spil <brnrd@FreeBSD.org>, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upcoming OpenSSL 1.1.0 release

On Aug 22 20:39, Mathieu Arnold wrote:
>ports-committers is a *NEVER POST DIRECTLY TO* list, so, moving it to
>ports@ where this belongs a lot more.
>
>+--On 22 août 2016 20:30:15 +0200 Bernard Spil <brnrd@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>| Curious to know how we should procede with the upgrade of the OpenSSL
>| port to 1.1.0!
>
>All ports need to work with it, I'm sure software like BIND9 do not build
>with it.
>
>--
>Mathieu Arnold

Going slightly off-topic, I'm curious what the opinion is around this
and LibreSSL. My understanding is that LibreSSL was forked from OpenSSL
1.0.1 and they have not backported newer stuff from OpenSSL. I also
believe OpenSSL now has several full time paid developers working on it
and that the 1.1 release has some significant changes under the hood?

I've been using LibreSSL for a while so that I can get chacha20 support
but OpenSSL 1.1 will not only have chacha20, but will also have x25519
support as well. This along with what I said above is making me think it
might be better to go back to OpenSSL.

I just wondered what people in the know think about the current
situation with these two things. Plus are there any roadmaps for the
future of FreeBSD regarding the defaults. Is the project ever going to
look at making LibreSSL the default port, or will that be kept as
OpenSSL for many years to come? I know Bernard has been looking into
that and playing around with LibreSSL in base etc. Just curious what the
official policy is going to be on that.

--
Matt