Date:      Sat, 17 Feb 2018 16:38:40 -0800
From:      bob prohaska <fbsd@www.zefox.net>
To:        tech-lists <tech-lists@zyxst.net>
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org, bob prohaska <fbsd@www.zefox.net>
Subject:   Re: Pi3 out of swap at < 50%

On Sat, Feb 17, 2018 at 10:57:25PM +0000, tech-lists wrote:
> I have a portable 1TB HD plugged into one of the USB ports with 2GB
> configured as swap.. and things like /tmp and /var/tmp are mounted on
> the ufs filesystem on the HD in order to reduce I/O on the sd card.
> Seems to work.
>
> Also have GPU memory set to 32 iirc as it's running headless.
> --
> J.

That's how I started out with a Pi2 a couple of years ago....well, not
quite: only 32GB of disk. It worked, so I tried Sandisk Extreme USB
flash drives. They worked too, and were smaller, neater and used less
power. Starting around the time of the armv6/armv7 split and use of
the unified GENERIC kernel (which is somewhat larger than the RPI2
kernel) I started seeing "out of swap" errors.

On my RPI2 running armv7 it looks like the out of swap error is real:
2 GB are configured, around 1.5 GB are usable (limited by internal table
sizes) and I see "out of swap" with about 1.5GB usage showing in top.

The arm64 RPI3 also has 2 GB configured in two equal partitions, one
on the USB flash drive and one on the microSD card used for booting.
It's claiming "out of swap" with only about 50% usage. Swapinfo shows
both partitions are being used, so that's not the problem. Kernel and
world are a couple weeks out of sync, which might be a problem but it
can't be checked until buildworld runs to completion, which it hasn't.

The best part is that a Pi2 running 11.0 managed to build world and kernel
using 256 MB of md99 swap.  It was using j2, but that's the only difference.
IIRC it took about three days.

Thanks for reading, and any ideas!

bob prohaska