Date:      Sun, 16 Dec 2018 08:07:15 -0800
From:      John Kennedy <warlock@phouka.net>
To:        George Mitchell <george+freebsd@m5p.com>
Cc:        freebsd ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: thunderbird build error

On Sun, Dec 16, 2018 at 07:54:34AM -0500, George Mitchell wrote:
> On 12/15/18 1:10 PM, George Mitchell wrote:
> > I recently updated my port build machine to 11.2-RELEASE.  I'm in the
> > process of recompiling my (previously) 10.4-based ports to 11.2, and
> > perhaps I shouldn't be trying to do this incrementally.  [...]
>
> Sure enough, deleting all ports and starting on a fresh ports tree
> fixed this problem.  But I'm still unable to get the Powder Keg set
> up on my machine (and I'm still happy with portmaster anyway).
> -- George

I was a happy portmaster user for a really long time, but eventually I ran into
problems.  Basically, once you get enough packages built (say, X11, browser-of-
choice and trimmings) and keep it up for long enough (like through some major
version bumps of dependent packages) you will run into an issue two packages
that are incompatible need to be installed at the same time.  That tends to get
caught and fixed for the general case (the FreeBSD-provided package build), but
others do not (like incompatible packages that are required to build but not to
be installed).

I wish I'd gotten poudriere to work before I got synth to work because synth
isn't as portable (say, to ARM) and I apparently like to punish myself (by not
cross-compiling... yet).

In any case, synth/poudriere seems to be good at rebuilding anything that might
need it, ready for a quick "pkg upgrade".  Sometimes it may *seem* like a bit
much (like gcc7 -> gcc8, or upgrading ca_root_nss), but I've been burned by
portmaster not always catching on to some more subtle changes that would break
things (and that even assuming that was ever aspired to by portmaster).  For
example, look at the advice we were given for perl5.26 -> 5.28, but now for a
bunch of packages where you don't know the dependencies because you're not a
master of ports.  I don't feel the need to periodically delete and reinstall
all packages just to be sure.

tl;dr:  You can't build everything with portmaster.  You should be able to with
poudriere (and if not, someone will probably be working on it to figure out why
not).